2014-2015 Out of School and Weekend Programs for our students
- Friends of Simon: Our start up for this Simon Fraser University tutoring and literacy program. It will continue every Mondays and Wednesdays from 3-5p.m until the end of the school year. This service is free.
- Bike Club: PEDALS comes to Byrne Creek for a bike maintenance and building workshop and ride safety workshops each Tuesday from 3-5p.m. This is a free after school program to all Byrne Creek students.
- Passion Foundation Girls Leadership: Students have created a Village Project (Participants are mentoring grade 7 Girls transition program with Stride Community School) runs Monday and Fridays during the 2014-2015 school year, lunchtime in the Community Room.
- Burnaby Neighboorhood House is offering Friendship Club after school Tuesday and Thursdays for the rest of the school year. This is open to Grade 8-9 students.
- LOVE (Leave Out Violence Education): Tuesdays 3:30-6:30 with dinner provided. All welcome!
- The CHILL Program: 6 Byrne Students will Learn to Snowboard with Burton Snowboards leadership initiative this January to February 2015.
- Justice High is a Capilano University’s Global Stewardship initiative. It is a Saturday conference (January 31, 2015) surrounding Social Justice issues that leads to a mentorship program for high school students to develop a Justice Junior for Elementary School students (February 2015).
- Girl’s Support Group- Our very own EA Jodie will lead a discussion group for girls during tutorials throughout the spring 2015 in the Community Room.
- Canadian Mental Health Association Activity Group. This is a partnership that has successfully run at Byrne Creek for the past 2 years. Youth with mental health challenges find a safe place and social space each month with a group of qualified youth leaders.
- Building Bridges with Music- This is a youth run program for youth with developmental disabilities Thursdays from 3:30-5PM April and May 2015.
- Think Well Mental Health Symposium- May 7, 2015. This is a youth lead conference to help youth and adults learn how to support youth with mental health issues cope more successfully.
- Night Out is an activity group that starts February 2015 that is sponsored by the Canadian Mental Health Society. This will be one night out each week for dinner and an activity for students struggling with mental health issues either personally or in their home.
- YES is running from February 2015- until the end of the this school year. YES (Young Eritreans Standing) is a Eritrean support and tutoring group that meets in the Community Room at Byrne Creek Saturdays from 11-3.
- The Goddess within You for girls and The Little Warriors-Force Within for boys runs each Saturday from 1-4 each Saturday in the Community Room.
- The Family Time Project will run for the Saturdays throughout May 2015. Youth will have the opportunity to create a legacy tile with the help of a artist mentor.
Programs for Parents 2014-2015
- Food Safe Training for Parents: December 1 and 2, 2015, 9:30-2:30 both days in the Centre for Dialogue at Byrne Creek. Child care will be provided.
- The Stream of Dreams Byrne Creek Project
- Byrne Creek’s Urban Agriculture Project
- Family Tile Legacy Art Project
Please contact Iha Hayer Byrne Creek’s community school coordinator if you are interested in learning more about any of the programs listed above.