The following are a list of services and resources that families may be interested in (further information can be obtained in the Community Room office):
Healthy Kids Program (covers dental care, eye check ups and prescription eyewear for children and youth to the age of 19). I have included a more detailed description of how to access dental and optometry under the Services and Resources tab.
Global Family Care Clinic just opened up on Edmonds and Kingsway for new Refugee or Immigrant families to Canada in the past 3 years that do not have a family doctor yet. It is fantastic! Check out the following:
- Information about the Clinic – GFCC_Clinic_Info_Oct29_email
- Frequently asked questions – GFCC_FAQS_Oct29_email
- Referral Forms for the Clinic – 2013 07 19 Global Family CareClinic Referral form circulation
HOUSING FOR BOTH ADULTS AND YOUTH
MetroVancouver: Services and Solutions for a Livable Region has new opportunities to share with families about new affordable housing possibilites (2013 Letter Burnaby Schools).
If you are a youth or find that a youth that you serve has no place to stay, here are some options that are specifically for underaged youth. They are all fantastic:
- ASH (Aboriginal Youth Safe House) – Vancouver 604-254-5147
- All Nations Youth Safe House – Surrey 604-584-2625
- Covenant House 575 Drake, Vancouver 604-685-7474
- Directions Youth Centre 900 Pacific, Vancouver 604-633-1472
- Walden Safe House – Vancouver 604-877-1234
- Shelter Information – All Ages and Genders
- BC 211 – A region-wide referral line for shelter and other essential services 211 (604-857-6381)
If all these options are full please call Shelter Vacancies in the Lower Mainland and they will point you in the right direction: 604-875-6381
If you are concerned about a youth and not able to find a safe place for a youth please call MCFD Afterhours: 604-660-8080
FOOD, CLOTHING AND OTHER HOUSEHOLD GOODS
Metrotown Rotary Coats for Kids
Food Bank: Tuesdays at 9:30 a.m. at Southside Community Church (see How to Access Food)
Helping Families in Need Society (furniture and household goods).
KidSport: Burnaby Grant Application (2015)
Canadian Tire Jumpstart: How to Apply
Please save your income tax papers each year. These are important to register for Parks, Recreation & Cultural Services credits, Burnaby Christmas Bureau, and summer camp subsidies.