The Byrne Creek Community Room is a place for parents, families and community members to meet and interact. Free coffee and tea, computer use, internet access and printing are available for parents during regular school hours. Toys, books and a small play area are also available for small children.
The Community Room is also home to a variety of community services:
- All students are eligible for the Breakfast Club. Students need only go to room B101 between 8 and 8:30 a.m. to have breakfast.
- There is a lunch program available at Byrne Creek as well. Please contact your school councilor or the community school coordinator if you would like to apply for your child to be on the lunch program.
- We have emergency food supplies and school supplies for newcomers are all available for families in need.
- A clothing exchange is also offered by the Community Room. There is no charge for any item. If you have clean clothing or gently used household items to donate, please talk to the coordinator or office assistant before dropping them off.
- We distribute Coats for Kids and Boots for Kids thanks to the Burnaby Rotary Club!
PAC meetings are held each month with alternating start times. We alternate between 5:30 and 7p.m. start times. Dinner in included for our 5:30 start times and child care is always provided.
Byrne Creek’s next PAC meetings will be Monday April 7, 2013 from 7 p.m. until 9p.m. in the library. No child care is provided unless parents make a request one week ahead of time.
Every second Friday of the month we hold a Parent Lunch to connect with parents and help build programs and partnerships. May 10th is a Professional Develeopment Day, so our next Parent Lunch is May 17, 2013 from 11a.m. until 1p.m. in the Community Room.
DPAC & DAC Meetings
The Burnaby District Parent Advisory Council (DPAC) is the recognized voice of parents at the District level and is made up of representatives from each PAC and Community Council in the Burnaby School District. The next DPAC meeting is will be announced ASAP and will be held at Schou Education Centre.
The District Community School Advisory Committee (DAC) meetings for the 2012-2013 school year are:
Thursday, October 25, 2012 at Gilmore Community School
Thursday, January 17, 2013 at Edmonds Community School
Thursday, March 14, 2013 at Maywood Community School
Thursday, May 16, 2013 at Stride Avenue Community School
All meetings are from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m.
COMMUNITY SERVICES & RESOURCES
The following are a list of services and resources that families may be interested in (further information can be obtained in the Community Room office):
Metrotown Rotary Coats for Kids
Healthy Kids Program (covers dental care and prescription eye wear for children)
KidSport: Burnaby Grant Application (2012)
Canadian Tire Jumpstart: How to Apply
Food Bank: Tuesdays at 9:30 a.m. at Southside Community Church (see How to Access Food)
Please save your income tax papers each year. These are important to register for Parks, Recreation & Cultural Services credits, Burnaby Christmas Bureau, and summer camp subsidies.